Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Posted in response to a request. I have never tried this only because I like New England style clam chowder better than Manhattan style.
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) can minced clams
- 3 slices bacon, cut up
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, cut up, save juice
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed dried thyme
- Drain clams-reserve liquid. Add water to clam liquid to make 3 cups.
- Partially cook bacon, stir in celery and onion and cook till tender Stir in tomatoes and juice, clam juice, potatoes, carrots, thyme, 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp white (or black) pepper.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 30 min (till veggies are tender). Mash slightly to thicken.
- Stir in clams and heat through.