Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This makes a great salad for a bar-b-que or a side for Mexican food. From "Dona Tomas, Discovering Authentic Mexican Cooking" As all jalapenos are different, you should start with one, and then add until you get it to the heat level of your preference.
- 1 lime, zest of
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice (about 3 limes)
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄8 head red cabbage, finely shredded
- 3⁄4 lb jicama, peeled and cut into 1/4 by 2 inch matchsticks
- 1 -3 jalapeno chile, with seeds, stemmed and chopped
- 1⁄2 red onion, minced (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 mangoes, peeled, pitted and cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, stemmed and chopped
- kosher salt
- Vinaigrette, combine lime zest, lime juice and shallot in small bowl. Gradually whisk in olive oil to make an emulsion. Season with a bit of salt.
- Combine cabbage, jicama, jalapeno, onion, mangoes and cilantro in a bowl. Add about half the vinaigrette and toss well, gradually adjusting seasoning and amount of vinaigrette without causing sauce to pool. Serve immediately.