Recipe by Terese
A beautifully fragrant and spicy chicken curry.
Top Review by JustJanS
Very close to a 5 star recipe. The only thing we really didn't like about it was too much turmeric. Turmeric has a very earthy flavour and a bitter aftertaste, and 1 teaspoon would have been enough. I will make this again, as it was simple and promises to be delicious. It also needed a generous teaspoon of salt.
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 kg chicken breast fillet, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh lemongrass
- 2 kaffir lime leaves, finely chopped (if unavailable use 2 tsp grated lime rind)
- 4 small fresh red chili peppers, seeded,chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar
- 1 (250 ml) cup water
- 1 (250 ml) cup coconut cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large pan, cook onion, ginger and garlic, stirring until onion is soft.
- Add chicken, cook, stirring, until browned lightly.
- Stir in spices, lemon grass, lime leaves and chilli, cook, stirring until fragrant.
- Add remaining ingredients, simmer, uncovered, about 30 minutes or until thickened slightly.
- Serve with rice.