Recipe by I Cook Therefore I Am
From foodnetwork.com. This is the easiest way to make homemade mac and cheese that I've ever come across...in fact I've been altering all other mac and cheese recipes to reflect the method of prep in this recipe. I make this when I've got 15 minutes to throw together a meal (not including cooking time.) It doesn't hurt that this is a REALLY tasty macaroni recipe. Can be served as a side dish, but we're veggies so we usually eat it as the main dish. Hope you enjoy.
- 2 cups short pasta, cooked
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, cubed
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces monterey jack pepper cheese, cubed
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 4 slices bread
- 1 tablespoon butter
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, toss together pasta with the cheese cubes and pour into a greased 2qt oven safe baking dish.
- In a large bowl mix together the flour, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, dry mustard, nutmeg and sour cream, egg, heavy cream and half-and-half.
- Pour the mixture over the pasta and cover with shredded Cheddar.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees until top is just beginning to brown, about 35 minutes.
- Cut the bread into crouton-sized squares. In a skillet over medium heat, melt butter, add cubes and toast until golden. Sprinkle the bread cubes on top of the macaroni and cheese and bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes more.
- *Note: to make this even easier I just sprinkle dried breadcrumbs on top of the casserole and then spray it with pam and bake it for ten more minutes -- that trick right there will save you another 5-10 minutes ;).