Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
from Sunny Anderson
- 2 cups elbow macaroni, cooked until almost al dente
- 16 ounces cheddar cheese, 1/2 cubed, 1/2 shredded
- 8 ounces monterey jack pepper cheese, cubed
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 4 slices bread
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a large bowl, toss together pasta with the cheese cubes and pour into the baking dish.
- In a large bowl mix together the flour, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, dry mustard, nutmeg, sour cream, egg, heavy cream and half-and-half. Pour over the pasta and cover with shredded cheddar.
- Bake uncovered until top is just beginning to brown, about 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the bread into crouton-sized squares. In a skillet over medium heat, melt butter, add cubes and toast until golden.
- Sprinkle the bread cubes on top of the macaroni and cheese and bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes more.