Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
From Cooking Light. Serving size: 1 cup lentil mixture and 1 tablespoon cheese. Per serving: 306 calories, 8.3 g fat, 20.1 g protein,39.6 g carb, 12.8 g fiber, 15 mg cholesterol.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 3⁄4 cup crumbled spanish chorizo sausage (about 3 ounces)
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups dried lentils
- 1 3⁄4 cups cubed yukon gold potatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup grated fresh parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in a large pot over low heat.
- Add in onion and the next 4 ingredients; cook for 10 minutes or until tender, stirring often.
- Add broth and the next 5 ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer 30 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Stir in salt.
- Ladle into individual bowls and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
Fantastic camping food. Easy, tasty, healthy and quick. I soaked the lentils in the morning and carried them in a jar in my pack. This cut the cooking time down to about 10 minutes. The only thing I would change next time for camping was to use instant mash because potatoes are heavy. We made this in the kitchen last week and it was just as good.