A nice warming spicy side.
Make and share this Spicy Lentils (South Africa) recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups orange lentils (rinsed and picked through for no twigs or stones)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, grated
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed, crushed
- 1 teaspoon cardamom seed, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup fresh tomato, diced peeled
- Dissolve salt in enough boiling water to cover lentils. Add lentils.
- and cook until tender about 20 minutes. Drain and mash with potato masher.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry onions and garlic until onions are golden.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer for a few minutes. Stir in lentils and heat until thick. Serve hot.