Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
A nice warming spicy side.
Make and share this Spicy Lentils (South Africa) recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups orange lentils (rinsed and picked through for no twigs or stones)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, grated
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed, crushed
- 1 teaspoon cardamom seed, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup fresh tomato, diced peeled
- Dissolve salt in enough boiling water to cover lentils. Add lentils.
- and cook until tender about 20 minutes. Drain and mash with potato masher.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry onions and garlic until onions are golden.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer for a few minutes. Stir in lentils and heat until thick. Serve hot.
I served this cold with a vegetarian picnic I planned and it was absolutely delicious both hot and cold (had a little taste while still warm). I forgot to put the tomatoes in until after it was all cooked but it worked out fine to put them in after. Thanks for another keeper Rita! Made and enjoyed for team Mischief Makers - ZWT #7 :)
This was a nice way to do lentils. I liked the flavor combinations with all the spices listed, and really loved the tomatoes. Next time I think I'd use ground cardamom and mince the garlic. Thank you! Made for ZWT7 for the Golden Gourmets.
Yum, this is really tasty! I love all the spices. I also did not use the oil (just a spray or two for the pan) so I used a can of tomatoes which helped balance out the moisture. I will make this again for sure. Thanks for posting.