Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Cooking time for lentils can vary from 15 minutes to as long as 1 hour, depending on the type and age of the lentils. Red Lentils (which turn yellow when cooked) cook very quickly because they are split and after 15 to 20 minutes they soften to a puree. Brown lentils hold their shape better but can take longer to cook. Serve this soupy stew-like dish in a shallow bowl over brown rice. I got this from Prevention Magazine.
- Sauté onion in oil until tender.
- Stir in ginger and cumin, sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add lentils, water and salt.
- Heat to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered for 15 minutes.
- If the lentils are soft, uncover and gently boil until most of the liquid evaporates.
- If the lentils are not yet tender, continue to cook, partially covered, testing every 10 minutes or so.
- Remove from heat and stir in cilantro and lemon juice.
- Serve warm with brown rice.