Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a thick, fragrant, and hearty stew. Very satsifying on a cold day, very good for you, and very cheap. Can't really ask for more than that from a single recipe.
- 1 onion
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 carrot
- extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 cups dried lentils (brown or green)
- 1 (15 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken stock, warmed
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- fresh ground black pepper
- Optionally, you can soak the lentils in cold water before you start the prep for this. Drain them before you add them to the soup.
- Mince the onion, celery, and garlic. Peel and mince the carrot.
- Warm the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, and celery with a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring often, for 6 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minutes.
- Sprinkle on the spices, and stir.
- Make a space in the middle of the pot, and add the tomato paste. Mix everything together until a thick paste forms.
- Add the chopped tomatoes with their juice and stir.
- Add the chicken broth and water and stir.
- Add the lentils. Bring to a boil, then back the heat off to a simmer. Simmer for 30 - 45 minutes, stirring often.
- Remove from the heat, add the lemon juice, and puree to desired consistency. (I like it left slightly chunky.).
- Add pepper to taste.
- POSSIBLE GARNISHES:.
- Lemon zest / freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Plain yogurt blended with salt, pepper, and chopped parsley or cilantro.