Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Warming Autumn soup. Dead quick to make from store-cupboard ingredients.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cm fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 pinch dried chili pepper flakes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 150 g red lentils
- 1 liter vegetable stock (I use Marigold)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 bunch fresh coriander leaves (cilantro)
- Heat the oil in a pan with a heavy bottom. For soup, my favourite pan is a cast iron Le Creuset casserole dish.
- Add the ginger and cumin and fry gently until the seeds turn a dark brown -- but don't let them burn.
- Add the oinions and carrots and sweat gently for around 5 minutes.
- Throw in the lentils and add the stock. bring to the boil and simmer for around 20 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper. Allow to cool, then blitz with a hand held blender until smooth.
- Check seasoning and add lime juice and coriander to serve.