Recipe by luvinlif2k
An Egyptian recipe from "Extending the Table" cookbook. Also known as Shorbet Addis.
- 2 carrots
- 1 green pepper
- 1 onion
- 2 tomatoes or 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 5 -8 garlic cloves, peeled and left whole
- 1 1⁄2 cups orange lentils
- 5 -6 cups water
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4-1 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop vegetables into large chunks.
- Put vegetables in a large soup pot with garlic, lentils, water and bouillon cube.
- Cover and boil 20-30 minutes without stirring.
- Cool slightly and puree in batches in a blender.
- Return puree to the pot and add cumin, salt and cayenne pepper.
- Simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to blend flavors.
- In a separate pan, fry chopped onion in 1 tablespoon oil until golden brown.
- Float onions on top of soup.
- Hint: Serve with wedges of lemon to bring out flavor.