Recipe by andypandy
This is so tastey that I don't think you will miss the meat. Use vegetable broth in place of the chicken stock for a vegetarin course. Serve with corn chips, and some sour cream or yogurt on top for a garnish. Garnish with cilantro too if desired.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups finely chopped fresh garden carrots
- 2 cups finely chopped zucchini
- 2 cups finely chopped unpeeled eggplants
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 1 1⁄2 chopped seeded jalapeno peppers
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 4 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 56 ounces diced tomatoes with juice (two 28 ounce cans)
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken stock or 2 1⁄2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 1⁄2 cups red lentils or 1 1⁄2 cups brown lentils
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepot over medium heat. Add in the chopped vegetables, onion, eggplant, carrots, jalapeno, garlic, and zucchini. Saute until almost tender about 4 minutes.
- Add the spices oregano, cumin, cayenne, bay leaf, and stir for a few seconds .
- Add the tomatoes with juice, stock of choice, and the lentils, bring to a low boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered until the lentils and vegetables are tender, about 40 minutes.
- Taste and then add salt and pepper if needed to suit your taste.
- Serve in bowls with corn chips or tortillas, some sour cream or yogurt and fresh cilantro as garnishes.