Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This casserole is easy, inexpensive and Yummy! Perfect for cool evenings- great served with brown rice/wild rice. This is a tweaked version of a recipe my vegetarian sister gave me- I'm not sure where she found it. Easily doubled to feed a crowd.
- 1 cup lentils, rinsed
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 small chopped onion (optional)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel Tomatoes, no need to drain (canned tomatoes and green chiles- I use the original or hot, mild would be good too)
- 1 -2 large carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 stalk thinly slice celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped yellow pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded jarlsberg cheese (Cheddar, mozzarella, monterey jack or any combo work as well)
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Place first 9 ingredients in an 11x7 pan, mix well and cover tightly with foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and stir in carrots and celery, add a small amount of water if lentils appear dry at this point.
- Recover with foil and bake 40 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Uncover and stir in green pepper.
- Sprinkle cheese over top.
- Bake uncovered for 5 minutes until cheese melts.
- Serve over brown rice or wild rice pilaf.