Recipe by buttercup0009
I got this recipe out of "The WIC Bean Book." I altered it a little to fit my tastes, adding chili powder and the veggie cheese. The chili powder is appx. is use your best jugdement. These burgers turned out really good; nice and tender, not hard like many of the frozen patties you can buy. Even my husband "the meat eater" liked these!
Top Review by Lucky in Bayview
Super good! I did add some extra seasoning, poultry seasoning and hot sauce. They cooked up really nice and looked a lot like a regular burger. I'm freezing the extra patties to have on hand for a quick, healthy meal. Thanks for posting the recipe.
- 1 1⁄4 cups lentils
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, grated
- 3 cups breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, more denpending on your tastes
- 8 slices veggie cheese
- 8 toasted hamburger buns
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash lentil, add water and bring to a boil in a large saucepan.
- Lower heat, cover, and cook 15 minutes.
- Add onions and carrots.
- Cook 15 min.
- more or until lentils are very tender.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Stir in bread crumbs, egg, garlic salt, oregano, and salt.
- Melt butter in large skillet and drop lentil mixtute by one-half cupfulls in hot butter; flattening mounds w/ spatula.
- Cook until firm and golden brown on both sides.
- Top each patty w/ 1 slice cheese; heat until melted.
- Serve on toasted buns.