Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I got this recipe out of "The WIC Bean Book." I altered it a little to fit my tastes, adding chili powder and the veggie cheese. The chili powder is appx. is use your best jugdement. These burgers turned out really good; nice and tender, not hard like many of the frozen patties you can buy. Even my husband "the meat eater" liked these!
- Wash lentil, add water and bring to a boil in a large saucepan.
- Lower heat, cover, and cook 15 minutes.
- Add onions and carrots.
- Cook 15 min.
- more or until lentils are very tender.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Stir in bread crumbs, egg, garlic salt, oregano, and salt.
- Melt butter in large skillet and drop lentil mixtute by one-half cupfulls in hot butter; flattening mounds w/ spatula.
- Cook until firm and golden brown on both sides.
- Top each patty w/ 1 slice cheese; heat until melted.
- Serve on toasted buns.
Super good! I did add some extra seasoning, poultry seasoning and hot sauce. They cooked up really nice and looked a lot like a regular burger. I'm freezing the extra patties to have on hand for a quick, healthy meal. Thanks for posting the recipe.
Very good! Much better than the old lentil burger recipe I used to use. Our kids liked this one MUCH better. Thank you for sharing it.
Everybody liked them (which says a lot!) even the meat eating husband! I only had about 1 Cup of bread crumbs so that is what I used and it still came together really well, I will probably only use that much from now on. I formed patties with my hands (a sticky venture but definitely no worse than shaping hamburger!) And I got probably 12 patties (not huge but decent sized) Even my husbands friends ate them (out of curiosity) and liked them. Definitely a keeper. thanks for sharing.