Recipe by Jewelies
Warming, healthy soup. Australian chili powder is very hot so use as much as your tastes enjoy.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 pinch chili powder, to taste
- 1 (32 g) packet onion soup
- 1 cup water
- 400 g tomatoes with juice, chopped
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 cups hot water
- 1⁄2 cup red lentil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander or 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the garlic, cumin, garam masala and chili powder. Cook over low heat, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Combine the soup mix and the one cup of water. Add to the pan with all the remaining ingredients, except the coriander or parsley.
- Bring to the boil, stirring, then simmer over a low heat, continuing to stir occasionally, for 20-25 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
- Mix through the coriander or parsley before serving.