- 1⁄3 lb tofu, cut into 1/2 inch cubes and patted dry
- 2 stalks lemongrass, very white bottoms only and finely minced
- 2 -3 tablespoons sambal oelek chili paste
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil or 2 tablespoons canola oil
- black sesame seeds (or combination of both) or white sesame seeds (or combination of both)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the chili paste and lemongrass.
- Season tofu with salt then coat with chili paste/lemongrass mixture. Allow the tofu to marinate for about 10 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a pan. Once the oil is hot enough; carefully add the tofu cubes. Fry for 2-3 minutes on each side until carmelized, careful not to crowd. Remove from oil. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Note: 1. Soft tofu produces a better 'bite', but firm tofu produces a crispier end product. 2. I might even consider sprinkling on the sesame seeds prior to cooking just as a test.