Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This dish is very tasty and easy to prepare. From Pleasures of the Vietnamese Table by Mai Pham.
Make and share this Spicy Lemongrass Tofu recipe from Food.com.
- 2 stalks lemongrass, outer layers peeled, bottom white part thinly sliced and finely chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons chopped thai bird chiles or 2 teaspoons another fresh chili peppers
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces tofu, drained, patted dry and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 yellow onion, cut into 1/8-inch slices
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 4 tablespoons chopped roasted peanuts
- 10 pepper leaves, shredded (la lot) or 2⁄3 cup loosely packed asian basil leaves
- Combine the lemongrass, soy sauce, chilies, chili flakes, turmeric, sugar and salt in a bowl.
- Add the tofu cubes and turn to coat them evenly.
- Marinate for 30 minutes.
- Heat half of the oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over moderately high heat.
- Add the onion, shallot and garlic and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook until the onions are soft, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a plate and keep warm.
- Wipe the pan clean and heat the remaining oil over moderate heat.
- Add the tofu mixture and, using chopstick or wooden spoons, turn so it cooks evenly, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the onion mixture and cook, uncovered, for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add half the peanuts and all the pepper leaves.
- Remove from the heat and transfer to a serving plate.
- Garnish with the remaining peanuts and serve immediately with steamed rice.