Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Vietnamese inspired sandwich from Sea Salt With Food. This Banh Mi is a little different from the marinated version. The sauce is thickened and caramelized along with the chicken.
- 6 boneless chicken thighs, cut each thigh in half
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
Pickled Cucumber and Carrot
- 1⁄3 cup rice vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 1 cucumber, shredded
- 1 thai bird's eye chili, chopped
- 3 stalks lemongrass, tender stalks bottoms minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 green chilies, minced
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 6 (6 inch) vietnamese-style baguette or 6 (6 inch) crusty submarine buns
- assorted herbs (cilantro, Thai basil, mint)
- green chili, sliced (serrano or jalapeno)
- pickled carrot & cucumber (recipe included)
- Pickled Cucumber and Carrot: Mix the rice vinegar, sugar and sea salt in a small saucepan. Bring the mixture to the boil until the sugar dissolved and let cool to room temperature. Place the carrot, cucumber and chilies in a mixing bowl and add in the sugar and vinegar mixture. Chill for about 20 minutes before serving.
- Sauce: Combine all sauce ingredients to mix. Set aside.
- Spicy Lemongrass Chicken: Season the chicken thighs with sea salt and black pepper. Heat a large cast-iron pan over high heat and add 1 tablespoon of peanut oil.
- Add the chicken and fry both side until golden brown. Turn the heat to medium and mix in the sauce, press down the chicken meat with a spatula and continue to cook until the sauce thickens and becomes caramelized. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly before slicing.
- Sandwich: Lightly toast the baguettes and fill with chicken slices with its sauce, pickled vegetables, green chili and assorted herbs. Serve immediately.