Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
A recipe from Betty Crocker : This lovely restaurant-style appetizer can be made ahead of time. The shrimp can marinate in the lemon mixture up to 3 hours in the refrigerator before broiling. Make the basil mayonnaise up to a day ahead, and store covered in the refrigerator.
- 1 tablespoon lemon peel, grated
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb large shrimp, uncooked, thawed if frozen and tails peeled, deveined
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil leaf, loosely packed
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise or 1⁄2 cup salad dressing
- Set oven control to broil. In medium glass or plastic bowl, stir lemon peel, lemon juice, red pepper, salt, garlic and 1 tablespoon of the oil until well mixed. Add shrimp; toss to coat.
- Spread shrimp in ungreased 15 x 10 x 1-inch pan. Broil with tops 2 to 3 inches from heat 3 to 5 minutes or until shrimp are pink and firm.
- In food processor, place basil and remaining 2 tablespoon oil. Cover and process until basil is chopped. Add mayonnaise; cover and process until smooth. Serve shrimp with mayonnaise.
These were wonderful! I cut the recipe by 4, and served as a main dish for 1. Based on the previous review, I only let this marinate for 1/2 hour, and it was plenty. My shrimp had a wonderful lemony flavor, and a nice bite from the pepper flakes. Instead of broiling, I cooked these on the grill, which added a nice smokey touch. I loved the basil mayo, it was the perfect complement to the shrimp.
This recipe was simple and tasty, the lemon is very dominant, which I like, though I did add extra garlic at the end as it was pretty mild. The down side of the strong lemon is that by marinating the shrimp for two and a half hours the lemon juice started to cook the shimp, which affected the texture. I could see that the shrimp were no longer translucent after marinating so was very cautious to not over cook it, despite that they were a little rubbery and grainy. My fresh basil was in sad shape so I mixed pesto into the mayo instead, this made for a nice quick dip which that is complimentary to the shrimp. Made for PRMRT.