Recipe by rsarahl
Move over lemon zinger... this brew is quite a stinger! Serve this on the rocks on a summer day or modify the recipe and serve it piping hot on an autumn evening with a slice of gingerbread or pumpkin pie. This can also be adapted into a tea to ease a queasy stomach by omitting the lemon and simply using the brewed ginger tea, hot or cold, to sip. Ginger is renowned for it's ability to calm stomach sickness.
Top Review by Sackville
I made this with oranges instead of lemon juice and it was wonderful! I did it slightly differently, in that I whizzed the mixture in my blender and then poured through a fine sieve to remove the pulp. Loved this as a substitute for tea on a cold evening. Thanks for a great recipe.
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 4 lemon slices
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil 4 cups of water in a nonreactive pot.
- Stir ginger into the boiling water, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Strain mixture through a cheesecloth lined sieve into a clean pitcher.
- Press on the ginger that is caught by the cheesecloth to extract as much liquid as possible.
- Stir honey into the ginger brew until it dissolves, then set mixture aside to cool.
- Stir lemon juice into ginger brew just before serving.
- Prepare tall glasses with ice and one slice of lemon.
- Pour chilled lemon ginger"tea" over the ice and serve.