1/4 Photos of Spicy Lamb Meatballs and Lentils
1 hr 25 mins
If you have never experienced a "flavor bomb" exploding in your mouth try this. Comes from Middle East. An all time favorite in my home - guests who have had it once ask if it's on the menu when they are invited again. Says it all I think.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 750 g lean ground lamb
- 200 g bacon, rashers de-rinded and diced
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 tablespoons mint, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch oregano
- 1 pinch thyme
- 1 pinch clove
- 1 pinch cardamom
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled,left whole
- 1 1/2 cups lentils
- 2 cups canned diced tomatoes
- 6 cups chicken stock
bouquet garni made from
- 1In a bowl, combine lamb, bacon, water, garlic, mint, parsley, spices and seasoning.
- 2Mix well.
- 3(This can also be done in a food processor but do not process the mixture to a puree, just process in short bursts to combine).
- 4Divide the mixture into about 25-30 small meatballs- flatten a little to a disc shape.
- 5Place on tray and refrigerate until ready to use.
- 6To prepare the lentils, heat the olive oil in pan and add the onion, carrot and cloves of garlic and saute for 5 minutes until the onions have become transparent.
- 7Add the lentils and stir to coat with the oil, about 2-3 minutes.
- 8Add 1 cup tomatoes, chicken stock, seasoning and bouquet garni.
- 9Bring to the boil and turn down to a simmer.
- 10Cover and cook until the lentils are tender.
- 11Discard the bouquet garni.
- 12Heat extra olive oil in a pan and saute the meatballs in batches in a single layer.
- 13Remove and add to the lentils.
- 14Continue to simmer the meatballs and lentils for 15 minutes or until the meatballs are cooked through.
- 15Add the remaining cup of tomatoes and cook a further 10 minutes.
- 16Taste and adjust seasoning.
- 17Serve in large soup plates and garnish with the mint.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Lamb Meatballs and Lentils
Serving Size: 1 (562 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1145.2
- Calories from Fat 766
- Total Fat 85.1 g
- Saturated Fat 29.7 g
- Cholesterol 181.6 mg
- Sodium 1066.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.3 g
- Sugars 11.5 g
- Protein 54.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: