Karen in MA's Note:
A staff favorite at Food & Wine Magazine. A lively Pinot Grigio such as the 2003 Luna Napa Valley has enough acidity to tame the spice in this soup.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 8 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 1 lb andouille sausage, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 28 ounces Italian plum tomatoes, chopped, juices reserved
- 3 quarts rich turkey stock or 3 quarts low sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 lb kale, large stems and ribs discarded, leaves coarsely chopped (8 cups)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot.
- 2Add the garlic and onions and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened (about 12 minutes).
- 3Add ginger and andouille and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 4Add the tomatoes and their juices; bring to a boil.
- 5Add the stock and kale; return to a boil.
- 6Reduce heat to medium, simmering until the kale is tender (about 10 minutes).
- 7Season the soup with salt and pepper and serve, or let cool and freeze (can be frozen for up to 2 months.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Kale Chowder With Andouille Sausage
Serving Size: 1 (164 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 210.3
- Calories from Fat 136
- Total Fat 15.2 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 21.5 mg
- Sodium 473.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 9.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
rich turkey stock