Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
great and tasty rub for grilling. from Aisha. Posted for ZWT5.
- 6 spring onions, chopped
- 2 schotch bonnet chilies or 3 jalapenos, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon rum
- 1 tablespoon cider, binegar
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- Place spring onions, chillies, ginger, garlic, onion, allspice, thyme, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, pepper, rum, vinegar and oil in a food processor or blender; pulse to a paste. Use 1 recipe per 4 servings. Rub onto meat just before grilling.
- Can make up to 1 day in advance. Cover and refrigerate.
Fierce in heat and flavor! Not for the timid! The intensity of the super spicy scotch bonnets are justified by the breadth and depth of flavor in the whole combination of herbs and spices. The only thing I didn't add was nutmeg (only because I couldn't find it in my pantry!) This rub will be the base for a Caribbean chicken and rice dish. Prepared for ZWT5 Team Jammin Java Jivers.
I loved the ease of preparing this rub. I didn't really chop anything up because I let my bullet blender turn everything into a paste. The favors were so yummy in this rub. I loved the heat from the chile and the hint of cinnamon and nutmeg (I used freshly ground nutmeg). Fresh ginger is always a plus with me. :) Made for ZWT5.