Recipe by wittlebit83
I got this recipe from a friend's step-mother and have made it several times. This recipe makes a ton of Jambalaya and is great leftover. You can alter the spice as you like.
- 1 lb smoked sausage
- 4 chicken breasts (cubed)
- 1 (8 ounce) candiced Rotel Tomatoes
- 1 bell pepper (medium)
- 2 yellow onions (medium)
- 1 bunch green onion
- 4 garlic cloves
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut chicken and sausage into small pieces.
- Put the liquid from tomatoes over the sausage, let soak.
- Put diced rotel over chicken, let soak.
- Chop bell pepper, onion, garlic, and green onion into really small pieces.
- Heat 1/4 cup of oil on a medium to low fire.
- Drain sausage (save liquid).
- Put sausage in and brown it until they become sticky. Remove sausage and put aside.
- Add chicken and rotel in the same oil and cook until it becomes brown and sticky. Remove chicken and set aside.
- Leave the same oil in the pot (add a little more if needed) and add onion, bell pepper, garlic and a little bit of green onions (save most of the green onions to add at the end).
- Fry everything down until it is soft and has browned. (this may take 10 to 15 minutes).
- Once everything has browned, add chicken and sausage back into the pot.
- Add 3 cups of uncooked rice. Stir it all together well and let it fry for a minute or two.
- Measure out 3 1/2 cups of rotel juice and chicken broth combined. Add to the pot.
- When contents of the pot come to a boil, cover and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes. (Make sure the fire is low) Try not to open the pot for at least 30 minutes.
- When it is done sprinkle remaining green onions over it and serve.