Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This twist on the all popular macaroni and cheese includes three different types of cheeses, including Pepper Jack to spice things up.
- 8 ounces dry elbow macaroni
- 2 cups chopped frozen broccoli
- 8 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 ounces shredded monterey jack pepper cheese
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup shredded parmesan cheese, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- PREHEAT oven to 350°F Lightly butter 2 1/2-quart casserole dish.
- COOK macaroni in large saucepan according to package directions, adding broccoli to boiling pasta water for last 3 minutes of cooking time; drain.
- COMBINE cooked pasta, broccoli, cheddar cheese, Pepper Jack cheese, evaporated milk, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and black pepper in large bowl. Pour into prepared casserole dish. Combine remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and bread crumbs; sprinkle over macaroni mixture. Cover tightly with foil.
- BAKE for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake for an additional 10 minutes until lightly browned.
- * NOTE: For a less spicy version, substitute 2 cups (8 oz.) shredded Monterey Jack cheese and a few dashes of hot pepper sauce (optional) for Pepper Jack cheese.
This one needed ALOT of salt. I subbed plain monterey for the pepper jack and added 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper. Other recipe sites give this one rave reviews. Maybe I should stick with the genuine spicy version and use the pepper jack. I thought it was bland.