Recipe by Michelle Berteig
I haven't tried this recipe yet but I hope to soon!
Top Review by OneFootInThePoorHouse
These were super, super awesome. I substituted half a pound of venison sausage (10% beef fat) and homemade marinara. They froze really well, I just throw a couple in with a light salad for my husband in the morning and by lunchtime they were thawed and perfect! Thanks a bunch for this recipe!
- 7 -8 ounces sweet Italian sausage (about 2)
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 egg
- 14 ounces pizza sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove sausages from casings, break into small pieces and fry in a skillet until cooked and browned. Drain sausage on paper towels, but save grease in skillet.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease muffin cups or use paper liners.
- Mix flour, Parmesan cheese, baking powder, salt, pepper and oregano in a large bowl. Break egg into another bowl and beat. Add pizza sauce and mix well. Add 3 T. fat, start with the remaining fat in the skillet and make up the difference with olive oil. Add sausage and mix well. Pour the mixture over the dry ingredients and mix just until blended. Scoop the very thick batter into muffin cups. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until firm on top. Cool 30 minutes before serving.