Recipe by Outta Here
We have an old Italian prune (plum) tree and I plan on trying this one out with some of this years harvest. Don't know where I got this originally. Found it on an old floppy disk I was browsing, from an old Food BBS from before the WWW days. WARNING: This is definately NOT low ANYTHING!!
Top Review by 2Bleu
Our first ever plum cake! I halved the cake ingredients but still made it in a bundt pan. I made the full amount of frosting which was enough to cover the top. This is a very unique cake. First, for the plums, and second to combine it with chocolate mocha. The flavor of this cake is good, and Buddha said it goes really well with Coke. Made as directed except used pecans in lieu of walnuts.
- 2 cups italian plums (after pitting and quartering)
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 3⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 lb powdered sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 -3 tablespoons hot coffee (STRONG)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Place plums in large saucepan with about 1 inch of water. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes, or until soft. Drain and cool.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter and flour a 10-inch bundt pan (or tube pan).
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, and continue beating until mixture is very light in color.
- Sift flour with spices and soda. Add to butter mixture in thirds, alternating with the milk. Beat just until ingredients are incorporated.
- Stir in plums and walnuts. Pour batter into pan and bake 1 hour, or until cake begins to pull away from sides of pan. Let cool in pan 5 minutes. Turn out onto wire rack and cool completely before frosting.
- For frosting:.
- Cream butter. Add powdered sugar and cocoa gradually, stirring until well blended. Stir in salt.
- Stir in coffee, a little at a time. Add just enough to make the frosting a spreadable consistency. Beat until fluffy and add vanilla. Frost cake.