Recipe by Brenda.
Spicey, turkey burgers with seasoned tomato sauce.
Top Review by helowy
The only changes I made were to leave out the fennel (none of us like fennel) and cut down the hot pepper so that the kids would eat it. I wonder if I did something wrong because the burgers came out very dry. Other than that, I thought the flavor was very like a pizza (in fact, I may make the sauce next time i make pizza). Made for ZWT4.
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- 4 hard rolls, split
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine tomato sauce, 1 tsp of Italian seasoning & 1/8 tsp of salt in a small saucepan.
- Cover & cook over medium heat until hot, set aside & keep warm.
- Combine turkey, garlic, remaining 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, fennel seeds, pepper flakes & 1/8 tsp salt. Mix until blended.
- Divide mixture into 4 equal portions & shape into 1/2 inch thick patties.
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; Place over medium heat until hot.
- Add patties & cook about 9 minute or until done, turning once.
- Spoon tomato sauce over patties to coat.
- Place turkey patty on a hard roll and top with mozzarella slice.
- Use leftover sauce to dip sandwich.