Recipe by Geema
This is a wonderful, flavorful way to make chicken and have a great sauce for some pasta on the side. Tomatoes, onions, and lots of garlic create the base of the sauce, then it's sparked with flavor from olives, red pepper flakes, anchovies and capers. After eating this chicken you will immediately begin talking with your hands and singing opera.
Top Review by Paula5
Bursting with flavor. It was great with orchiette, but any pasta that isn't too "skinny" and delicate would work well, I think. This is definitely good enough to serve to company.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 pieces chicken breasts or 8 pieces chicken thighs
- 1 medium onion, cut into thin rings
- 8 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 (35 ounce) can plum tomatoes
- 1 (2 ounce) can anchovies, drained and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup pitted olive
- 1⁄4 cup capers, drained
- 3 tablespoons chopped sun-dried tomatoes (oil packed)
- 1 tablespoon mixed Italian herbs
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes (or more)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the skillet over medium high heat, and then add the oil.
- Brown the chicken pieces on both sides, and remove from the pan, setting aside.
- Add the onion and garlic to the sam pan and saute until the onion is soft, 5 minutes or so.
- Stir in the plum tomatoes with their liquid and then the remaining ingredients.
- Return the chicken to the pan and coat well with the sauce.
- Cover the pan and simmer on low until the chicken is tender, about 30 minutes, depending on the chicken parts.
- The breasts will cook much quicker than the thighs, so check for doneness.