1 hr 5 mins
This is a wonderful, flavorful way to make chicken and have a great sauce for some pasta on the side. Tomatoes, onions, and lots of garlic create the base of the sauce, then it's sparked with flavor from olives, red pepper flakes, anchovies and capers. After eating this chicken you will immediately begin talking with your hands and singing opera.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 pieces chicken breasts or 8 pieces chicken thighs
- 1 medium onion, cut into thin rings
- 8 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 (35 ounce) can plum tomatoes
- 1 (2 ounce) can anchovies, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup pitted olive
- 1/4 cup capers, drained
- 3 tablespoons chopped sun-dried tomatoes (oil packed)
- 1 tablespoon mixed Italian herbs
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes (or more)
- salt and pepper
- 1Heat the skillet over medium high heat, and then add the oil.
- 2Brown the chicken pieces on both sides, and remove from the pan, setting aside.
- 3Add the onion and garlic to the sam pan and saute until the onion is soft, 5 minutes or so.
- 4Stir in the plum tomatoes with their liquid and then the remaining ingredients.
- 5Return the chicken to the pan and coat well with the sauce.
- 6Cover the pan and simmer on low until the chicken is tender, about 30 minutes, depending on the chicken parts.
- 7The breasts will cook much quicker than the thighs, so check for doneness.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Italian Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (314 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 357.4
- Calories from Fat 183
- Total Fat 20.4 g
- Saturated Fat 4.8 g
- Cholesterol 98.8 mg
- Sodium 576.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 34.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
mixed Italian herbs