Prep 2 hrs
Cook 40 mins
This is from the Foodcourt column, Weekend.
- 450 g white fish fillets, steamed and flaked
- 4 slices white bread, soaked in water and squeezed dry
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger, peeled,washed and grated
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon fresh coriander leaves, washed and chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 green chilies, chopped
- 2 egg whites
- 50 g fresh breadcrumbs
- oil, to deep fry
- tomatoes or mint sauce, to serve with
- Chop bread into cubes and put into a food processor/grinder.
- Cover and process until you have breadcrumbs.
- Keep aside until required.
- Mix fish with the soaked bread in a bowl.
- Add onion, ginger, garlic paste, corriander leaves, black pepper, chillies and salt.
- Mix well to form a dough.
- Divide this dough into 16 portions.
- Mould them to the required round kofta shape.
- Chill until firm.
- In a medium sized bowl, beat egg whites, one at a time, until light and fluffy.
- Dip each kofta in the egg white.
- Then, roll each kofta in the breadcrumbs.
- Toss to coat.
- Heat oil in a wok.
- Deep fry 3 or 4 koftas at a time, on either side, until golden.
- Remove on clean paper kitchen napkins to drain excess oil.
- Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Serve hot with tomato or mint sauce.