I just love a steaming hot bowl of spicy, aromatic Indian Dahl. I served this with Anu's Tangy Lemon Rice with Peanuts, and chapattis. A delicious, nourishing meal. If you prefer not to use ghee or butter, substitute vegetable oil. Add the amount of chile powder as per your own taste - less or more is up to you. If you prefer, you can use Toor dahl or even split and hulled Moong dahl, instead of Masoor dahl.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh gingerroot, minced (optional)
- 2 tablespoons ghee (or unsalted butter)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure ground red chili powder (not the chili spice mix)
- 4 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 5 cloves
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces split red lentils (Masoor dahl)
- 1/4-1/2 cup water
- cilantro leaf, freshly chopped
- 1Place lentils in a colander and rinse under running cold tap water.
- 2Add lentils to a medium-sized, but deep, saucepan.
- 3For each cup of lentils, add 2 cups of water to the saucepan.
- 4Bring to the boil, turn heat down, and simmer 10 to 20 minutes.
- 5Do not allow lentils to become mushy- they should still be'al dente'.
- 6Drain when cooked.
- 7Melt ghee or butter over a medium flame.
- 8Add onions, garlic and ginger, and saute until onions are soft and light brown in colour.
- 9Add spices and salt, and cook a couple of minutes until lightly fried and bubbling.
- 10Add dahl, and stir well.
- 11Add 1/4 to 1/2 cup of water.
- 12Cook over low heat for 15 minutes, or until gravy thickens, stirring from time to time so that the dahl doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan.
- 13Add more water if necessary, or if a thinner dahl is desired.
- 14Garnish with fresh cilantro to serve.
- 15Variation: Add two chopped tomatoes with the onions.
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Indian Dahl
Serving Size: 1 (146 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 303.1
- Calories from Fat 74
- Total Fat 8.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.2 g
- Cholesterol 16.3 mg
- Sodium 606.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.9 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 16.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: