Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is one of my favorite appetizers- easy and inexpensive. A variation of a recipe from a very old Canadian Living. If you don't like spicy, you can omit the chipotle peppers and add fresh herbs, especially dill, right into the dip. I make homemade pita chips for this, but any type of cracker works as well.
- 1 (19 ounce) can chickpeas
- 1⁄4 cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash cayenne
- black pepper
- 1 -2 teaspoon chipotle chile in adobo (optional)
- chopped fresh parsley or mint or dill weed
- Drain chick peas and reserve liquid.
- In a blender or food processor, process all ingredients until smooth, adding 2-3 T.
- of reserved liquid to give the mixture a mayonnaise like consistency.
- Chill to thicken and allow flavours to blend.
- Top with fresh herbs and serve with pita or bagel chips, or raw vegetables.