Recipe by Sister Earth
This is a fun & easy way to get an exotic spicy Indian style Saute' using your own choice of ingredients.
- 14 -18 ounces of stir fry meat (or a combo of both meat and vegetables) or 14 -18 ounces of your favorite stir fry vegetables (or a combo of both meat and vegetables)
- 5 garlic cloves (chopped)
- fresh gingerroot (a chunk approx. 1inch cube (or more, peeled & chopped)
- 1⁄2-2 small dried red chilies or 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 7 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons whole cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 6 teaspoons lemon juice (fresh is best)
Directions See How It's Made
- Have the meat and/or veggies that you are going to saute' ready to go into the pan.
- In a blender or processor add garlic, ginger, 3Tbsp water & pepper-- (or you can add a 2 inch cube of Ginger & leave out the pepper all together)blend until smooth. Add Cumin powder, Coriander powder, & Turmeric powder & blend until well mixed -- set this Spice Blend aside.
- (When you are ready to add the Spice Blend to the hot pan hold your face away from the area directly above the pan so you do not get fumes in your eyes & nose.).
- In a small container mix the Lemon, Sugar & Salt -- set aside.
- Turn on the vent-fan because the kitchen is about to be a very spicy place to be.
- In a 9 inch frying pan with a lid, add veg. Oil & heat on med., when oil is hot add the cumin seeds. Shake the pan a little so they don't scorch. Turn the heat down a little as the seeds begin to sizzle.
- Quickly (about 15 seconds or less after the seeds sizzle) add the Spice Blend. Stirring frequently cook for about 1 min., then add the the meat and/or veggies that you are going to cook & the Lemon juice, Sugar, Salt & just enough water to allow for simmering (approx. 4 Tbsp).Turn heat to low. Mix well , cover tightly & cook on low for 10 minutes or until ingredients are tender.
- Serve alone as a small side dish or with rice for a meal.