Recipe by drhousespcatcher
by Cabot Creamery® on behalf of 3-A-Day™ of Dairy. Made a defatted version for supper tonight. Wonderful flavor. Feel free to modify as you like also.
Top Review by Lucky in Bayview
We loved this soup! It was kickin' hot, we like hot, but I may cut back a bit on the jalapeno next time. This one seemed exceptionally hot. I used the liquid smoke option, added a 1/4 t. and did make a couple changes. I used evaporated milk instead of milk and flour, pureed the soup a bit and completely forgot to add the cheese, ooops, and it was still delicious. I went back and added some cheese on top of my second serving and it really tamed the heat, but I sure like the idea of shaving those calories, so I think I would only do half the cheese called for the next time I make this. Thanks so much for sharing this keeper recipe!
- 2 slices bacon or 2 slices vegan bacon
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup chopped poblano chile
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons minced seeded jalapeno peppers
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 32 ounces fat free chicken broth or 32 ounces vegetable broth
- 5 cups diced peeled baking potatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups skim milk or 2 1⁄2 cups soymilk
- 5 ounces jalapeno cheddar cheese, see note
- 2 ounces cheddar cheese, see note
- 2⁄3 cup green onion
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon from pan leaving 1 tablespoon drippings in pan. Crumble bacon, set aside.
- Add carrots and next 5 ingredients to drippings. Sauté until golden brown. Stir in broth and add potato and salt. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 25 minutes or until potato is tender.
- Combine flour and milk in a small bowl stirring with a whisk. Add to pan slowly. Cook over medium heat until thick, about 12-15 minutes. Remove from heat. Add cheddar and Jalapeño Cheddar cheese, stirring until melted.
- Serve in bowls topped with green onions and crumbled bacon.
- Use a Vegetarian Cheddar in place of the cheeses. Also add a small dash of Braggs or liquid smoke to the potato soup.
- Used half chicken and half veggie broth. Didn't need the flour because I pureed the potato mix in the pot with my Phillips. And used fat free everything.