Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
by Cabot Creamery® on behalf of 3-A-Day™ of Dairy. Made a defatted version for supper tonight. Wonderful flavor. Feel free to modify as you like also.
- 2 slices bacon or 2 slices vegan bacon
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup chopped poblano chile
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons minced seeded jalapeno peppers
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 32 ounces fat free chicken broth or 32 ounces vegetable broth
- 5 cups diced peeled baking potatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups skim milk or 2 1⁄2 cups soymilk
- 5 ounces jalapeno cheddar cheese, see note
- 2 ounces cheddar cheese, see note
- 2⁄3 cup green onion
- Cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon from pan leaving 1 tablespoon drippings in pan. Crumble bacon, set aside.
- Add carrots and next 5 ingredients to drippings. Sauté until golden brown. Stir in broth and add potato and salt. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 25 minutes or until potato is tender.
- Combine flour and milk in a small bowl stirring with a whisk. Add to pan slowly. Cook over medium heat until thick, about 12-15 minutes. Remove from heat. Add cheddar and Jalapeño Cheddar cheese, stirring until melted.
- Serve in bowls topped with green onions and crumbled bacon.
- Use a Vegetarian Cheddar in place of the cheeses. Also add a small dash of Braggs or liquid smoke to the potato soup.
- Used half chicken and half veggie broth. Didn't need the flour because I pureed the potato mix in the pot with my Phillips. And used fat free everything.