1 hr 15 mins
bh in WV's Note:
This soup was served in my college student union and was a hit with starving college students as it's big on flavor while using only frugal ingredients. I was never able to wheedle the recipe from the cooks, but this is a very close clone of it. It's a super diet recipe as it has a spicy kick that other cabbage soup recipes don't. I think diets fail more from lack of flavor than from hunger pangs! Also, it's the first soup I think of at the first sign of a cold as this one warms you from the inside out. With a toasted cheese sandwich and a hot cup of tea with honey, it's better than penicillin!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Chop veggies and add to a large soup pot along with tomatoes and juice.
- 2Add salt or salt substitute, pepper, and oil if desired.
- 3Add enough water to cover the veggies by an inch or two.
- 4Bring to a slow boil, then reduce heat to simmer and cook for an hour or until cabbage is very soft and translucent.
- 5Adjust pepper to desired level of heat. You want a nice "bite" to this.
- 6Serve in warmed bowls with homeade wheat bread and butter. Great for the sinuses and immune system!
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Hot Cabbage Soup
Serving Size: 1 (193 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 67.1
- Calories from Fat 3
- Total Fat 0.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 557.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 9.0 g
- Protein 2.5 g