Recipe by Oolala
From Mastering the Art of Barbecue Cooking by Hanna H. Thomas, 1974. This sounds good to me. "This dish is not for the timid...it's hotter than you think! Have plenty of beer on hand to squelch the blaze!" I hope to try this soon. It's been collecting dust in my recipe box.
- 1 (5 -6 lb) leg of lamb, butterflied
- 1 garlic clove, mashed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all ingredients, except for the lamb.
- Brush the entire lamb with the marinade and let stand in a glass dish for 2 hours, turning occasionally. (You can marinate longer in the refrigerator if you like).
- To roast, insert 2 skewers through the meat at right angles, crossing each other, or use wire broiler basket.
- Roast over medium coals for 2 hours (sounds long to me so be careful and check for doneness to your liking-2 hours is for well done), turning every 15 minutes and brushing with remaining marinade (don't brush toward end due to raw juices in the marinade and cooking safety.).
- Meat should be well-done but juicy.