Recipe by Crafty Lady 13
If you like General Tzo's Chicken, you will probably like this flavorful dish. It is both sweet and spicy and is very easy to make. It can be served with rice, or you can leave the chicken breasts whole, glazed with the spicy honey-orange sauce. It is very easy to adjust the ingredients to fit your family's taste. This recipe was adapted from a recipe that was given to me by a friend.
Top Review by jennyonthespot
This was pretty tasty. Next time, I think I'll skip the flour and just season the chicken with the salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Less effort, less calories. The coating got soggy from the juices the chicken put out and it turned a bit gummy, but when all was said and done, it came out well enough in the end. The sauce was orangey and fresh tasting. Not too sweet at all. I did have a pretty heavy hand with the red pepper, since we like it spicy. Thanks for the recipe!
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 4 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate (thawed)
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, adjust to taste
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 -3 green onion stems, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In small bowl, combine honey with juice concentrate, orange zest, garlic, and the red pepper flakes. Set aside.
- Pound chicken to approximately 1/4 " thickness. Cut into bite size pieces.
- In a plastic bag mix together the flour, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Toss chicken pieces to lightly coat with flour mixture.
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat butter and oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and stirfry until just cooked through.
- Pour honey mixture over chicken and cook, stirring to coat all chicken pieces with spicy honey-orange glaze. Sprinkle with parsley and green onion.
- Tip: As stated above, you can leave the chicken breasts whole. Pour the glaze over chicken that has been cooked through, turning chicken to coat as sauce begins to thicken, about 2 minutes. Serve chicken breasts with honey-orange glaze spooned over the top. Garnish with parsley and green onions.