1/3 Photos of Spicy Honey Chicken
Midwest Maven's Note:
This is a sweet and spicy chicken stir-fry dish with yummy crisp tender veggies. This is easy to throw together and even easier to devour with some hot rice. We liked it with fried rice, but it'd be just as good with plain white or brown rice as well. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons oil (I used a combo or sesame and olive oils)
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 12 ounces broccoli slaw mix
- 8 ounces water chestnuts, drained
- 20 ounces pineapple chunks in juice, drained (save the juice)
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice (that you saved)
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes (or more if you like hotter)
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1Put the flour, salt and pepper in a zip lock bag and seal and shake it up.
- 2Add the chicken chunks to the bag and seal and shake to coat them.
- 3Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a skillet or wok over medium heat, and add coated chicken chunks to it.
- 4Saute the chicken for about 10 minutes, stirring constantly till browned and cooked through. (add more oil if needed).
- 5Take chicken out of skillet and cover to keep warm.
- 6Heat 2 more tablespoons oil to skillet over medium heat, and add the onion, garlic, and ginger.
- 7Saute for 3-5 minutes.
- 8Add the broccoli slaw, and water chestnuts to skillet.
- 9Saute for 5 minutes more.
- 10Add the drained pineapple chunks (making sure to save the juice)and add the sherry.
- 11Cook on low about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 12While this is cooking, in a small bowl whisk together 1/2 cup of the saved pineapple juice, the Chinese five spice powder, soy sauce, honey, and chili flakes.
- 13After the skillet mixture has cooked for the last 10 minutes, stir in the contents of the bowl.
- 14Add the chicken back to the skillet now.
- 15Cook on med./low for 8-10 minutes until the sauce has thickened slightly and the chicken is warmed through.
- 16Sprinkle some green onions on top of each serving and enjoy!
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Honey Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (411 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1007.4
- Calories from Fat 315
- Total Fat 35.1 g
- Saturated Fat 8.1 g
- Cholesterol 145.2 mg
- Sodium 1466.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 96.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 63.9 g
- Protein 53.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Chinese five spice powder