Prep 6 hrs
Cook 40 mins
Plan ahead the chicken needs to marinate for a minimum or 6 hours. There is enough marinade for about 8-10 pieces of chicken or less, but it can be doubled. This is a wonderful marinade for chicken!
- 2⁄3 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 -2 tablespoon finely grated peeled ginger
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
- 2 -4 teaspoons hot red pepper flakes (use more for extreme heat!)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- Whisk all ingredients together.
- Place the chicken in a large bowl or dish.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and toss to completely coat with the sauce.
- Cover and refrigerate for a minimum of 6 hours or overnight.
This was very good. I used a whole chicken, cut into pieces, 1/2 Tablespoon of ground ginger, olive oil, and didn't add any red pepper flakes. The chicken was oven baked and very tasty. I served it with white rice with 1 chopped scallion, 1 minced clove of garlic, about a tablespoon of sesame seeds, salt, and olive oil made in the rice cooker.
My aunt, uncle, cousin, cousin-in-law, grandmother and I loved it. It was simple but still fun, although I admit I toyed around with it and added some green onions which really gave it a lovely flavor! I also cut on some of the red pepper flakes as I wasn't certain how my extended family dealt with spicy things, although I like it nice and spicy. It was really an amazing marinade, and my first time using marinades it was a huge success with my family and I. The chicken was excellent, juicy and tender, just perfect!! I'm making it again, this time I hope to provide a picture! Thanks again for a wonderful marinade recipe!!!
I am giving this 4 stars because although I didn't care for it, my husband thought it was good. The taste of the hoisin sauce is quite pronounced, so if you don't like it that much (I prefer it with other ingredients dominating), don't try this dish. Thanks anyway for the recipe!