I came up with this one cold and rainy afternoon because I wanted something healthy, spicy, tasty and warm. I was pleasantly surprised with the results and thought I better write this down before I forget, because I want to make it again!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground turkey
- 1 serrano pepper, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 8 ounces of sliced button mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon dried chipotle powder
- 1 lime, juice of
- 2 (14 ounce) cans low sodium chicken broth
- salt and pepper
- chopped fresh cilantro
- sour cream, if you like
- Heat oil in a 4 quart soup pot on medium high.
- Sautee onions and garlic until soft and transparent.
- Push it to the side and add ground turkey.
- Cook until nicely browned and mix with onion mixture.
- Add serrano peppers, cilantro, stewed tomatoes and corn, cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add mushrooms, chipotle chile powder, lime juice and chicken broth.
- Bring to boil, lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
Oh my! What a wonderful soup. I omitted the serrano pepper and chilpote powder as 2 young kids were dining as well, but served it with chili flakes and hot sauce on the side. I did a few changes - a bit more garlice, 2 fresh tomatoes chpped finely instead of can, fresh corn instead of frozen and 2 limes instead of 1. It was delish and will go down as one of our go-to recipes. UPDATE: I have also made this with 1 lbs of extra lean ground chicken and no oil, cutting out almost 200 cal per serving and you cant tell the difference.
Yummy, easy and the kids liked it. Can ask for more than THAT! Thanks!
Very good soup. Omitted oil and drained and rinsed meat after browning. Reduced fat to 11.8 and cal to 341 per serving. Served with #99898 Easy Amost Fat Free cornbread by LadyPit. Great meal! Thanks for sharing your recipe!