1/1 Photo of Spicy Healthy Taco Bean Soup
This is a great, healthy recipe that I originally got from a weight watchers meeting, but that I didn't actually try myself until a coworker made it for a faculty lunch. It's amazing how the refried beans thicken the soup and give it more body than the broth alone. It's super tasty, but quite spicy. I cut the spice by topping individual servings with fat free sour cream and shredded cheese. You could also replace the spicy diced tomatoes with an additional can of regular tomatoes if you don't like so much heat. Another way to reduce the heat would be to add an additional can of chicken broth and more beans, either more black beans or a can of kidney beans. Don't like it meatless? Stir in some browned ground beef or turkey, or add some cubed or shredded cooked chicken. Note: After reorganizing my pantry, I realized I have two similar types of tomatoes, and that I have used Mexican style diced tomatoes the last couple of times I made this, which likely made this more spicy than the rotel style tomatoes would have.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large onion
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packet taco seasoning
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can fat-free refried beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can spicy diced tomatoes (like rotel)
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1Slice or dice the onion and sauté in a stock pot until soft (in cooking spray, a tablespoon of olive oil, or a little of the chicken broth).
- 2Add remaining ingredients and simmer 15-20 minutes.
- 3Serve with fat free sour cream and low-fat shredded cheese, if desired. If you like cilantro, chop a little and throw some on top of the soup. Also tasty (though not as healthy) topped with a handful of Fritos.
- 4Great with a piece of hearty corn bread and fresh fruit.
- 5This recipe can also be made in a crock pot. Sauté onions first, combine everything in a crockpot, and cook on low 5-6 hours.
Browse Our Top Black Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Healthy Taco Bean Soup
Serving Size: 1 (2968 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 185.6
- Calories from Fat 12
- Total Fat 1.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 646.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.9 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 10.8 g