Recipe by Kookaburra
These are a lot more interesting than plain roasted or jacket potatoes. They're perfect to serve with a roast and easy to do. As the potatoes cook the slices fan out so, as well as tasting great, they look pretty too!
Top Review by kokeshi doll
It would make more sense to me to mix your seasonings into the melted butter and brush the potatoes several times during baking. That way you would get all of the surfaces of the potato slices coated with the flavored butter. You could reserve some of the dry spices for sprinkling on during the last 15 minutes for added color. Just a thought.
- 4 -6 medium potatoes
- 4 -6 teaspoons butter or 4 -6 teaspoons margarine, melted
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- The oven temperature will depend on what else you are cooking at the time (e. g. a roast).
- Anything between a moderate and high heat will be fine for these potatoes.
- Grease a baking tin or tray.
- Wash potatoes well but do not peel.
- Cut a thin slice from the base of each potato so that they will sit flat on a cutting board.
- Place a potato on the cutting board and lay a wooden spoon alongside the length of it.
- This stops you from cutting right through to the bottom of the potato.
- Now, using a sharp knife, held at right angles to the wooden spoon, thinly slice the potato but DO NOT CUT ALL THE WAY TO THE BOTTOM.
- (Think of the way garlic bread is sliced- that's the effect you're looking for.) Repeat until all potatoes are sliced in this way.
- Place potatoes into the baking tin.
- Now, using a pastry brush, brush butter or margarine over the top of each potato and use the brush (and your fingers) to carefully push some of the butter down between the slices.
- Reserve some butter or margarine to baste during cooking.
- Bake for around 45 minutes at 180°-220°C (350°- 425°F) before adding spice mixture.
- While the potatoes are cooking, combine the ingredients for the spice topping in a small bowl and mix well.
- After 45 minutes, brush the reserved melted butter or margarine over the potatoes then sprinkle the potatoes with the spice mixture.
- Return potatoes to the oven and bake for a further 15 minutes or until brown and crispy.
- (If the potatoes are not browning nicely after the first 45 minutes, simply increase the heat for the last 15- 20 minutes of cooking. If you are cooking a roast, you can time it so that you remove the meat to rest for 15-20 minutes before the potatoes are done).