1/11 Photos of Spicy Hasselback Potatoes
1 hr 10 mins
These are a lot more interesting than plain roasted or jacket potatoes. They're perfect to serve with a roast and easy to do. As the potatoes cook the slices fan out so, as well as tasting great, they look pretty too!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1The oven temperature will depend on what else you are cooking at the time (e. g. a roast).
- 2Anything between a moderate and high heat will be fine for these potatoes.
- 3Grease a baking tin or tray.
- 4Wash potatoes well but do not peel.
- 5Cut a thin slice from the base of each potato so that they will sit flat on a cutting board.
- 6Place a potato on the cutting board and lay a wooden spoon alongside the length of it.
- 7This stops you from cutting right through to the bottom of the potato.
- 8Now, using a sharp knife, held at right angles to the wooden spoon, thinly slice the potato but DO NOT CUT ALL THE WAY TO THE BOTTOM.
- 9(Think of the way garlic bread is sliced- that's the effect you're looking for.) Repeat until all potatoes are sliced in this way.
- 10Place potatoes into the baking tin.
- 11Now, using a pastry brush, brush butter or margarine over the top of each potato and use the brush (and your fingers) to carefully push some of the butter down between the slices.
- 12Reserve some butter or margarine to baste during cooking.
- 13Bake for around 45 minutes at 180°-220°C (350°- 425°F) before adding spice mixture.
- 14While the potatoes are cooking, combine the ingredients for the spice topping in a small bowl and mix well.
- 15After 45 minutes, brush the reserved melted butter or margarine over the potatoes then sprinkle the potatoes with the spice mixture.
- 16Return potatoes to the oven and bake for a further 15 minutes or until brown and crispy.
- 17(If the potatoes are not browning nicely after the first 45 minutes, simply increase the heat for the last 15- 20 minutes of cooking. If you are cooking a roast, you can time it so that you remove the meat to rest for 15-20 minutes before the potatoes are done).
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Hasselback Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (146 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 201.2
- Calories from Fat 37
- Total Fat 4.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 10.0 mg
- Sodium 192.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 4.5 g