1/2 Photos of Spicy Hash Browns W/Eggs Sunny-Side Up
I tend to like spicy foods and breakfast is definitely no exception. I have been experimenting over time for a breakfast that I could cook that would be delicious for just about anyone (granted there are those who can't eat eggs). I cook this breakfast dish in a medium-sized cast iron skillet. For those of you who don't use cast iron because you find it difficult to season, I have found a way to season all cast iron, just ask me. Two key notes: Use Peanut Oil for better flavor with the hash browns and all seasoning is to taste (I give specific amounts of seasoning but I find everyone does not have the same taste, so adjust accordingly).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Add two eggs to a small bowl and let stand at room temperature while cooking the hash browns.
- 2Add Peanut Oil to cast iron skillet or your preferred type of skillet and heat to medium-high.
- 3Add the shredded hash browns to skillet and form into an evenly round patty about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick, add sea salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and add all of the red onion spreading evenly. Let cook, do not mix or stir. Once the hash browns are golden brown (about 3 to 4 minutes), flip over and let cook until golden brown. Remove hash browns from skillet and place on your eating or serving dish.
- 4Turn heat down to medium and ensure skillet has cooled down before adding butter or the butter will turn brown and make for ugly looking eggs (I would recommend removing cast iron skillet from heat to cool).
- 5Add butter to skillet and melt. Add eggs from the small bowl to the skillet adding just a pinch of sea salt and black pepper and cook for about 3 minutes without touching for Sunny-side up: this should produce a nice white colored egg (not brown). If egg edges start to crisp, the heat is too high. During the last 30 seconds, I microwave the hash browns to get them nice and hot, then add the eggs on top of the hash browns. Add the green onions to the skillet and heat slightly (30-45 seconds): do not cook them. Garnish eggs and dish with green onions and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Hash Browns W/Eggs Sunny-Side Up
Serving Size: 1 (481 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1273.3
- Calories from Fat 732
- Total Fat 81.4 g
- Saturated Fat 17.2 g
- Cholesterol 387.2 mg
- Sodium 1844.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 113.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.8 g
- Sugars 6.1 g
- Protein 22.5 g