Recipe by shb1964
I'm not a big ham fan but I just LOVE this dish. Easy to do, very forgiving - you can substitute different kinds of juice or soda. Ham steaks freeze well and thaw fast so it's good for a week night. Fairly economical if you get the ham on sale. I love to have it with orange rice where I substitute about a half a cup of OJ for water with plain old white or even brown rice, and a nice green salad. Enjoy!
Top Review by Crafty Lady 13
If you're looking for loads of flavor, look no further. This was the most flavorful ham that I had ever tasted. I used freshly squeezed orange juice (2 oranges gave me 1/2 a cup of orange juice) and Diet Dr. Pepper. I marinated the ham for about 8 hours. The ham was so tender, juicy, and exploded with flavor. Thanks for sharing. Made for Top Favorites of 2009 Tag Game.
- 1 slice ham steak
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice (apricot or pineapple work well, too, so does Tang!)
- 1⁄2 cup ginger ale (or Sprite, 7-Up or a cola drink)
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar (I usually use light)
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
Directions See How It's Made
- Prick ham slice with a fork all over to make holes and slash the edges so it won't curl during baking.
- Place in baking dish just big enough to hold slice.
- Mix all other ingredients together well and pour over ham.
- Marinate at least 30 minutes but can be longer (some times I do it in a baggie overnight).
- Put in 350* oven, bake for about 30 minutes. Mmmm!