Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is a family favorite!
Top Review by LonghornMama
Very good! The family really enjoyed it. A nice change from plain mac and cheese type casseroles. I loved the addition of spices and tomatoes. As written, this is not too spicy so I'll use 2 fresh jalape?os, minced, and 1/4 t cayenne without worry. This makes a huge 13x9 dish, plenty to feed my family of five at least two meals. So next time, I'll freeze half to bake later. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 1 -2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 4 1⁄2 cups half-and-half cream (can use half of each to make 4-1/2 cups) or 4 1⁄2 cups full-fat milk (can use half of each to make 4-1/2 cups)
- 1 (28 ounce) can plum tomatoes, well drained and chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 2 cups chopped cooked ham (or to taste)
- 1 lb elbow macaroni (cooked only to VERY FIRM-tender and drained)
- 3 cups cheddar cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 375 degrees.
- Butter a 3-quart casserole dish or a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- In a large heavy saucepan melt the butter and cook the onion, garlic, jalapenos, coriander and cumin over low heat, stirring until the onion has softened.
- Stir in flour and cook stirring for 3 minutes.
- Add in half and half cream and/or milk; bring to a boil, whisking until mixture thickens (about 2 minutes).
- Add in well-drained tomatoes; simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add in cayenne, salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, mix together cooked macaroni, and tomato/cream mixture.
- Add in the chopped cooked ham.
- Stir in the cheddar cheese to combine.
- Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish.
- In a small bowl, mix together the bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese, then sprinkle over the casserole.
- Bake on the second-lowest oven rack for 20-25 minutes, or until golden and bubbling.