Recipe by ajiwac
This was taken from Cooking Light, April 1995. It is the companion recipe to http://www.food.com/recipe/maple-glazed-ham-with-maple-mustard-sauce-442689
- 1 1⁄4 cups dried navy beans
- 2 quarts water
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pepper
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (18 ounce) ham bone, from 8 1/2 pound cooked low-sodium ham
- 9 ounces maple-glazed ham, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Sort and wash beans and place in large dutch oven. Cover with water to 2 inches above the beans, and bring to a boil; cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand for 1 hour.
- Drain beans, and return to pan. Add 2 quarts of water and next 8 ingredients (water through ham bone). Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour or until beans are tender. Remove from heat; discard ham bone.
- Place 2 cups of bean mixture in a blender and process until smooth. Return mixture to pan; add ham and remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until heated.