Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
- Sort and wash beans.
- Place in dutch oven, add water and let soak for 2 hours (or soak over night).
- Bring beans to boil, reduce heat, simmer uncovered 1 hour.
- Add ham, potato, onion, carrot, celery; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer 1 hour.
- Add remaining ingredients bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered about 1 hour until beans are done and soup has thickened.
This is sooo good Kathy. I used red beans, a ham bone, liquid smoke,fresh garlic,chopped onions & onion flakes, added tomato paste and dried green peppers. I use everything but the kitchen sink till I like the taste. Thanks again.
This is an excellent base for anything you want to add. I added a lot of spices (we like it "kicked up"), liquid smoke, and a few beef boullion cubes. I soaked the beans overnight in a crockpot...turned it on high at about 5 am, then added the rest of the ingredients at about 7am. Turned it to low, and left it until 7pm. It's fantastic!!! Thank you for a low fat wonderful recipe!
I too liked this soup and I did kick it up with a can of ro-tel tomatoes,the hot one.A pan of east texas cornbread to go with and we walked away from the table with full tummies and a smile on our faces.Thank you for posting this one Kathy!I will have to see if you have other soup recipes posted as I found out last night my bf likes soup as much as I do.He said he could eat soup for every meal if that is all I want to cook.Alright!!!!!!!!!!