Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
In ‘ Slow Cooker Revolution’ by ATK
- 2 onions, minced
- 1⁄4 cup chili powder
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano (or 1 t. dried)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 2 slices white bread, torn into quarters
- 1⁄4 cup whole milk
- 2 lbs lean ground beef (90%)
- Microwave onions, chili powder, oil, garlic, cumin, coriander, and oregano in bowl, stirring occasionally, until onions are softened, about 5 minutes; transfer to slow cooker.
- Stir tomato sauce, vinegar, and sugar into slow cooker.
- Mash bread and milk into paste in large bowl using fork.
- Mix in ground beef, ½ tsp salt, and ¼ tsp pepper using hands.
- Stir beef mixture int o slow cooker, breaking up any large pieces (do not overmix).
- Cover and cook until beef is tender, 6-8 hours on LOW or 3-5 hours on HIGH.
- Let beef filling settle for 5 minutes, then remove fat from surface using large spoon.
- Break up any remaining large pieces of beef with spoon.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Use as filling for tacos, burritos, etc.