Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
In the Deep South we tend to incorporate grits into so many wonderful dishes. This base can be used to back up scrambled or poached eggs for breakfast or sautéed greens and shrimp for lunch or dinner. I will often chill the leftovers and make grits cakes for another meal. The possibilities are as endless as the Bubba Gump shrimp dishes!
- 453.59 g sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 jalapenos, finely diced
- 473.18 ml grits, uncooked
- 946.36 ml chicken broth
- 946.36 ml milk
- 59.16 ml butter
- salt and pepper
- Bring the broth/milk combo to a boil and slowly whisk in the grits. Add salt if your broth is unsalted.
- Add the jalapenos.
- Bring to a boil again, stirring constantly, then lower the heat, cover, and cook the grits until done. Stir occasionally.
- Add the buter and incorporate completely, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from the heat.
- Add the cheese 1/3 cup at a time, stirring well.